Saturday, May 26, 2012

Cairo & Alexandria


St. Mina Monestary, Alexandria
 
Cairo Opera
Egypt...hmmm where should I start? Well, in the first twenty four hours, we attended a wedding of  distant,...distant relatives, we didn't know them and they didn't know us lol) at night. We also prayed a liturgy and had a spiritual day the very next day. I have to say it was an interesting experience for us, but apparently, the norm around here! We  visited a few churches in Cairo (Masr El Gadida) and attended a few sermons by the one and only Fr. Dawood Lamey. Our trips included a visit to The Egyptian Museum, The Opera, and a church trip to St. Mina Monestary. After a week of activities, including lots of food-"tasting" (for lack of a better word), we headed to Alexandria to visit the beautiful Mediterranean sea and a whole lot of family!
The Egyptian Museum

 We stayed at the Sheraton El-Montaza in Alexandria and saw some of the most beautiful sunsets we've ever experienced. I introduced Fady to my family for the first time. Some of them, I was introduced to, for the first time! It was amazing how close I felt to everyone. It was as if I grew up with everyone here. 
Sheraton, El Montaza Alexandria



One of the most memorable visits I made was to the church that I first attended and it was also where I had my first Sunday School experience. This church was the Church of St. George Ghobrial, Alexandria. Of course the church looked completely different. When I was there we had one huge hall where everyone, of all ages, attended Sunday School and we all sat on the floor. Now, the church has become a beautiful catherdral and I was so happy that I got to see it. I didn't recognize how it looked, but it felt the same as when I was a kid.



No comments:

Post a Comment